Monday, June 20, 2005

mistersugar: How to persuade a business to blog

Carolina Blog Consultant, Anton Zuiker, shows us how it is done...

EXCERPT:
At the business blogging panel tonight, I did my usual speed-talking history of weblogs.

Afterward, Diane Kuehn and I were chatting about ways she can help her business clients incorporate weblogs into their communication and marketing strategies. Reflecting on my own experience at my new job, where I waited three months to explain how a weblog, along with a magazine, would be a great way to share loads of interesting and useful information that our own employees are clamoring for and our funding agency demands, I suggested this exercise for how a business, or a consultant advising a business, should approach blogs:

Don’t say the word ‘blog’. Don’t even mention the concept of how a frequently updated website is good practice. You’ll get your chance later. Just hold on.

Identify a reporter. Choose a mid-level employee, or if you’re a consultant, hire a freelance journalist. Give the person a notebook and pen and these instructions: Over the next week, I want you to write down all of the interesting, useful or newsworthy facts, stories or tidbits about our company that you hear or read. Go about your normal routine and attend your regular meetings. And, in your coffee room or hallway conversations, try to learn something new about the backgrounds and interests of your colleagues.


[Hyperlinks available on the other side of this link.]

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home